The original, now lost, was recorded in the Barner'schen Fideicommissgut, Klein Trebbow.
The artist was the son of Friedrich Christoph Georg Lenthe, director of the Art Gallery of the Dukes of Mecklenburg from 1812 onwards. After his apprenticeship in Berlin, the artist came to Ludwigslust in 1830 and was appointed court painter in 1838. He was especially active as a painter of Church decorations and he is known to have painted altars for the Churches in Kröpelin, Döbbersen, Sülz, Warin, Laage, Marlow, Kavelstorf and many other Churches in Mecklenburg (F. Schlie, Beschreibendes Verzeichnis der Werke neuerer Meister in der Grossherzoglichen Gemälde-Gallerie zu Schwerin, 1884, pp.40/1).
For information on the sitter see lot 19.
See colour illustration