The graphic sources for the scenes on this teapot were by Otto van Veen and published in Amorum Emblemata (Antwerp, 1608). The first vignette of a putto carrying a cripple is taken directly from plate 15, the other scene is adapted from plate 87. Both of these scenes also appear on Nuremberg fayence tankards decorated by M. Schmid, see Helmut Bosch, Die Nürnberger Hausmaler, Emailfarbendekor auf Gläsern und Fayencen der Barockzeit (Munich, 1984), nos. 412 and 413.
Otto van Veen (1556-1629) was one of the most prominent artists in the Southern Netherlands in the late 16th century until he was overshadowed by his pupil, Peter Paul Rubens. He turned to the genre of emblemata, publishing two influential works in 1608 and 1615. Amorum Emblemata was published in three different multi-lingual versions and was distributed widely. Each of the 124 scenes was accompanied by an amatory verse, often taken from Ovid. Each copy was interleaved, i.e. bound with blank pages in between for the owner to complete with their own verses and comments.
The K.P.F. mark was apparently used for a brief period, from November 1722 to 7th April 1723 when the K.P.M. mark was adopted. Two oblong octagonal sugar-boxes and covers bearing this mark have appeared on the market recently, each with scenes of putti; the first at Sotheby's London on 21st October 1980, lot 50, the second at Christie's Geneva on 12th November 1984, lot 170, where the decoration is tentatively given to Lauche before his departure from the factory after August 1724. See also the bowl from the Hanns and Elisabeth Weinberg and the Antique Porcelain Company of New York Collections, sold by Sotheby's New York on 10th-11th November 2006, lot 266, which appears to belong to the same service as the present teapot and cover. The catalogue also lists pieces which may belong to the service: two teabowls and saucers in the Arnhold Collection, New York, a teabowl and saucer in the British Museum (Franks Collection), London and another teabowl and saucer formerly in the Gustav von Gerhard Collection, Budapest.