Home page

Global notice COVID-19 Important notice
A Berlin blue-ground topographical two-handled oviform vase
A Berlin blue-ground topographical two-handled oviform vase

CIRCA 1840, BLUE PRINTED DOUBLE-HEADED EAGLE WITHIN A CIRCLE MARK, BLUE SCEPTRE MARK, BLACK ORB AND K.P.M. MARK, GILDER'S MARK AND PRESSNUMMER 38. AND III TO STEM OF VASE AND FOOT

Details
A Berlin blue-ground topographical two-handled oviform vase
Circa 1840, blue printed double-headed eagle within a circle mark, blue sceptre mark, black orb and K.P.M. mark, gilder's mark and Pressnummer 38. and III to stem of vase and foot
With matt-gilt griffins' head and foliage handles, painted with views of Das neue Palais. and Der Pfingstbau nach seiner Vollendung. named in black on the inside of the neck, within gilt burnished gadrooned rectangular cartouches, the flared gilt neck and foot burnished with a band of oak leaves, on a square base edged in gilding (very slight rubbing to griffins' ears and minute chip to inside rim of stem)
16 in. (42 cm.) high

Lot Essay

An example of similar form but of larger size was sold in these Rooms on 7 October 1996, lot 304.

The majestic Neues Palais was built between 1763-69 and designed by the architects Johann Gottfried Bring and Heinrich Ludwig Manger, although Frederick the Great was so intimately involved in the design and construction that many felt it was his inspiration. For a discussion of the building and other views see Ilse Baer et al., Along the Royal Road (1993), pp. 202-203, nos. 81 and 82.
;

More from CERAMICS & GLASS

View All
View All