3 more
TWO ROMAN MOSAIC PANELS WITH HEADS OF OCEANUS

CIRCA EARLY 2ND CENTURY A.D., PARTLY RESTORED IN ITALY IN 1823

Details
TWO ROMAN MOSAIC PANELS WITH HEADS OF OCEANUS
CIRCA EARLY 2ND CENTURY A.D., PARTLY RESTORED IN ITALY IN 1823
29 ¹/₈ x 29 ¹/₂ in. (74 x 75 cm.) each
Provenance
Found in a vineyard on Monte Rosario, near Rome, in 1823.
With Neapolitan art dealer Giuseppe Baseggio, Rome, between 1823 – 1826.
Charles, 8th Lord Kinnaird (1780-1826), Rossie Priory, Perthshire.
The Property of a Lady of Title; Sotheby’s, Old Master Sculpture and Works of Art, London, 8 December 2009, lot 90.
With Galerie Kugel, Paris.
Private collection, London.
Exhibition
On loan to the National Galleries of Scotland between 1990 and 2002.
On loan to the Royal Scottish Academy between 2004 and 2009.

Brought to you by

Claudio-Corsi
Claudio Corsi Specialist, Head of Department
Get in touch for additional information about this lot

Lot Essay

These two spectacular heads belonged to a mosaic floor discovered in 1823 in a vineyard on Monte Rosario, near to Porta Portuensis in Rome, in the presence of Lord Kinnaird and Lord William Russell, son of the Duke of Bedford, during their Grand Tour.

When the pavement was discovered the Italian architect and designer Giuseppe Valadier made sketch in watercolour, where the heads are easily recognisible (fig. 1). Lord Kinnaird and Lord William Russell decided to buy the floor and share it, and after gaining the export license from the curator of the Vatican Museum it was shipped to Great Britain.

The part of the floor bought by Lord Russell was installed at Woburn Abbey, where it is found to this day. The part bought by Lord Kinnaird, which included these two heads, was brought to Rossie Priory in Perthshire.