Christie’s New York offers Internships in both fall and summer.
The Summer Internship runs for a period of ten weeks, from June to August, and the Fall Internship runs for a longer duration of nine months. By allowing Interns to immerse themselves in the practical operations of the company, both Internships provide an insight into Christie’s work and its role within the art world.
We also offer Internship opportunities throughout the year in a selection of our regional offices: Los Angeles, San Francisco and Chicago. Please note that these Internships are not part of our summer or fall sessions, they are recruited separately, and openings can be found here when available.
The Summer, Fall and Regional Internships are paid programmes. Unfortunately we are unable to reimburse travel, housing or other expenses.
Christie’s believes that experience is best gained through practical involvement in the activities of our departments. Interns will be asked to undertake a variety of tasks and projects throughout their time at Christie’s and these vary depending on the department's needs and where they are in their sale cycle.
Tasks may include (but are not limited to):
• Catalogue notes
• Research on specific works of art, artists, museums, etc.
• Managing libraries
• Working with the galleries for exhibition set up
• Client service
• Administrative duties
• Specific projects as assigned by manager
• Content creation for social media
Fall and summer Internships are full-time, paid positions with a limited number of part-time opportunities. The standard hours worked by Christie's New York are 9am to 5pm (Monday to Friday). Some regions may vary according to their business needs. As many of Christie's most exciting events and activities such as major sales and functions take place in the evenings and during weekends, we strongly recommend that Interns become involved in these events, if possible, by taking an active role in their organisation. Part-time hours will need to be discussed, and agreed upon, during the interview process.
We undertake a selection process based on formal criteria, the application form and an interview.
Examples of the key criteria include:
• Summer Internships are only available for rising junior and senior undergraduate students. International students enrolled in a US-based school are eligible to apply for the Internship.
• Fall Internships are open to candidates that graduated within two years of their start date with us. Applications are open for undergraduates as well as graduate-level students.
• International students applying to the programme must have a valid CPT/OPT as Christie’s cannot sponsor Internships.
• Candidates should be available for the entire duration of the programme.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Detail-oriented with strong organisational skills.
• Team player and proactive.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a verification process.
Choice of department
• Museum Services
• Trusts, Estates and Appraisals
• Decorative Arts
• Books & Manuscripts
• Luxury (Jewellery, Handbags, Watches and Wine)
• Old Masters
• Post-War and Contemporary Art
• Impressionist and Modern Art
• Asian Art
• Client Strategy
• Client Advisory
• Prints and Multiples
• Special Events
• American Art
• Art Finance
Please note that the current list of departments is subject to change and we can't guarantee that you will be offered your preferred department.
How to apply
Candidates can apply here for our Internships. Unfortunately, applications received by other mediums cannot be accepted. We review all formal application submissions, and successful applicants will be invited in for interview. We regret that demand for Internships usually exceeds availability of places on the scheme.