John Kendell was an important Leeds maker whose firm was taken over in 1863 by the equally famous firm of Marsh and Jones. Kendell & Co. began a policy of labelling their furniture from the 1830s. They are known to have supplied furniture for Harewood House, Farnley Hall and Rudding Park, all in Yorkshire (The Dictionary of English Furniture-Makers 1660-1840, Leeds, 1986, p. 505).
The tables, with their scrolled and pillar-tied trestles on plinth supports, relate to a pattern in George Smith's The Cabinet-Maker and Upholsterer's Guide, 1826, fig. XII.